Thursday, July 17, 2014

Book Reviews- Adjournment

Dual Reviews

Melissa's Review- 5 AMAZING STARS!!

When I picked up Adjournment, I wasn’t sure what exactly to expect.  The title refers to a term in chess, suspension until a later time or place.  Well, Emersyn Vallis could not have thought of a more fitting title.  This book is so impressive; especially considering it is Emersyn’s debut novel.  Her writing style is so unique and well-crafted.    The way she built up the story, starting off slow, giving us the back story, and then speeding up with the exchanges between Sidney and Simon, it was like my emotions were on a roller coaster.  My favorite thing about Emersyn’s writing was her wit.  This book is not only witty but absolutely hysterical.  I wasn’t expecting to actually laugh out loud but I did, on numerous occasions. 

There were so many amazing characters in Adjournment.  Not just Sidney and Simon but the secondary characters as well.  Sidney has older twin sisters, who are handfuls of trouble and a best friend, Lexi, who has no problem calling Sidney out when she is acting like a brat.  Simon is one third of the McAllister triplets.  His brothers are equally as sinister as Sidney’s sister and it makes this story so much more entertaining.  Sidney’s parents, actually her whole family, is obscure, but in the best way possible.  And Grams, well, she may be my favorite. Who doesn’t love an old lady who thrives on saying the most inappropriate things at the most awkward of times?  But alas, it is Sidney and Simon who sealed my love for this story.  Their chemistry and cat and mouse game kept my pages turning and my heart in a vice.  Sidney is amazing.  She is full of sarcasm and cracked me up.  Simon was a harder call.  When I started the book he was just another typical, gets what he wants, rich kid but as the story went on my love for him grew.  By the end of the story I was cheering for Sidney and Simon.  I am a firm believer in second chances and I hope Sidney is too!! (Fingers Crossed!!) 

Adjournment is the first book in the fate series and worth every single penny.  I was impressed by the length of the story (369 pages for $3.99?? a total steal!!) and am so stoked that there is 3 MORE BOOKS in this series!!!  I know Emersyn has great things in store for Sidney and Simon and the rest of the crew.  You can also quote me when I say Emersyn Vallis is the one to watch!  She will no doubt be a best seller one day soon!  I’ve recommended this book to everyone I know and even some people I don’t because no one should miss out on one of the best books of 2014!!  You rock, Emersyn!!

Melissa's Ratings

Storyline: Great!
Female Characters: Hysterical
Male Characters: Hott!
Author's Writing Style: Amazing
Plot Twist: Average
Laugh Factor: OMG!!

Cry Factor: none
Steam Factor: Just Enough
Violence: none

 

Jaymee's Review- 5 Stars


Adjournment is the debut novel by Emersyn Vallis and if I didn't know that before i started I would have thought she had written several novels already. Her writing style is incredibly well developed, engaging, flows perfectly and it is both clear and detailed. Her attention to detail is amazing and allows the reader to clearly picture the people and places in the story. My favorite part of this novel was the different characters, each one was unique, engaging and added something special to the story. The book is told through Sidney's point of view and I simply adored her. Being inside her head was a fun place to be, she is hysterical and often had me laughing out loud especially with all the references to flying shoes. "Don't throw the shoes." She has been through a heartbreak and some trauma that caused her to run away from her past to start over. The reader doesn't find out everything that caused her to leave her old life behind since this is only the first book in the series but we do know a bit of what happened and the author gives us just enough to keep us hooked. This story is a romance but it also is about Sidney finding herself again. She forced her true self into hiding in order to survive but being around the McAllisters and her family helps to bring her old self back to the surface. She went from a snobbish priss to a hilarious firecracker in the span of this novel! Her childhood crush, Simon, is totally swoon worthy. I can't count the number of times I went "awwwww" while reading this book. The ways he shows his love is absolutely heart melting and the sexual tension between the two of them is off the charts! I am so in love with the idea of them as a couple it's almost ridiculous. Her sisters, Molly and Morgan are amazing secondary characters whose shenanigans had me cracking up throughout the story. Lexi and Jacob are the perfect friends for Sidney and they are very dynamic, realistic characters that remind me of people in my own life. I must say Grams is by far one of my favorite characters of all time, I'm not sure I've ever laughed as hard as I did at some of the things she said and did. Not only are the characters fantastic the plot is captivating and intriguing. The love hate relationship between Sidney and Simon made for an addicting plot but the author drops in some strange occurrences that add an element of suspense and I can't wait to find out what the clues are leading up to in the rest of the series! It is the first book in a series and Emerysn leaves you wanting more and with unanswered questions but it isn't the kind of cliff hanger that has you tearing out your hair while waiting for the next novel. 


Jaymee's Ratings

Storyline: Amazing
Female Characters: Awesome and Hilarious
Male Characters: Sexy and Sweet
Writing Style: Great
Plot Twists: Average
Laugh: Off The Chart
Cry: none
Steam: Average
Violence: none
 

No comments:

Post a Comment