Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Book Review - - Destroyed by Pepper Winters


The Synopsis...

She has a secret.

I’m complicated. Not broken or ruined or running from a past I can’t face. Just complicated.

I thought my life couldn’t get any more tangled in deceit and confusion. But I hadn’t met him. I hadn't realized how far I could fall or what I'd do to get free.

He has a secret.

I’ve never pretended to be good or deserving. I chase who I want, do what I want, act how I want.

I didn’t have time to lust after a woman I had no right to lust after. I told myself to shut up and stay hidden. But then she tried to run. I’d tasted what she could offer me and damned if I would let her go.

One secret destroys them

Jaymee's Review...

5 Stars

Destroyed is a stand alone novel by Pepper Winters and let's just say Destroyed is the perfect title because that is how this novel will make you feel. Pepper Winters has an uncanny ability to rip a readers heart out before putting them back together again, this novel will take you on one hell of an emotional ride but trust that most things will work out okay in the end. It is not a happy or sweet story, it is dark, intense and heart breaking. 


Roan was a difficult character to relate to because the amount of trauma he had suffered was so unimaginable but I couldn't help but feel for him. The depth of his pain was heart breaking, his character was dark, damaged, tortured but underneath it all he was beautiful. Winters created one the most complex and damaged characters I have encountered in awhile, everything about him screamed darkness but slivers of light shone through making me fall in love with him. I liked that his past traumas were much different from other characters I've read about, his past was unique and exceptionally tragic. When we first meet Roan he is far from human but then Hazel walks into his club and life changes for the both of them. 

Hazel is a strong woman, her life has been a nightmare but she fights for her future and she won't give up. She is going through something that no one would should have to suffer but it is what brings her into Roan's life and it is meant to be that way. Hazel is complex, courageous, strong, compassionate and loves with no expectation. Everything about her is beautiful and the way she is with Roan blew my mind over and over again. Love can make people do crazy things and that is often the case here, they can't stay away from each other no matter how dangerous or painful it may be. 

Two broken souls come together in this couple giving them both a chance at something they never thought they would have, love. Winters uses alternating points of view so the reader gets to be inside the heads of both main character so we know all their pain, hopes, secrets and dreams. Parts of this novel are very painful, almost devastating but it has been a long time since I was so completely taken with a story. I couldn't stop reading once I started even toward the end when I was practically blinded by tears I had to keep going, I needed to know what was going to happen. 

Destroyed totally wrecked me and gave me a huge book hangover but I loved every second of it. Pepper WInters is an incredible author who sucks the reader in and doesn't let them go. Her Monsters in the Dark series is one of my all time favorites and I can't wait to see what else she comes out with!

The Ratings...

Storyline: A+
Female Character: Strong
Male Character: Damaged
Author's writing style: engaging and smooth
Plot Twists: a few surprises
Laugh Factor: minimal
Cry Factor: buckets
Steam Factor: Hot
Violence: Quite a bit, 7 out of 10



Buy Links 

Amazon   B&N

No comments:

Post a Comment